Saturday, January 15, 2011

Values Based Artwork

One day last semester, my good friend Carley said, "I'm just going to stare at this picture of my family and remember my values." The other day, my friend Sarah W. blogged about making a poster of joyful things with one of her friends.

I always keep things close to my bed that remind me of who I am. Last year it was these three quotes and the Sagamore Creed.

I had to stare at how I spelt "continues" wrong all year.



This past semester, I had sticky notes on the bunk above me that said things like

  • "Pray without ceasing."
  • TDH
  • Remember to be 3rd today!
  • And a lovely note from Sarah M

On Sunday, I'm moving to middle four. I'm going to be on the top bunk. I didn't want to transfer my sticky notes over, so I had been thinking of what I was going to tape up next to my bed. That's when inspiration from Carley & Sarah W. struck!

VALUES. POSTER.

How to make a poster of your values:
1. Go to Walmart. Wander through the remodeled store, and get a little lost because every Walmart is set up differently.
2. Find the craft aisle. Look at all the awesome other crafts. Tell your friend you can make a bird house another day. Today is about coloring and values.
3. Buy a poster. And some really sweet glitter markers.
4. Go to McDonalds and buy the largest soda possible for $1.00. (Kelsey got Diet Coke, I got Sprite).
5. Come home. Get out supplies.
6. Look at how large your poster is. 
7. Cut it in half.
8. Stare at your poster for a really long time and worry that it won't turn out good.
9. Start working because worrying doesn't help anything.
 10. While working, talk about your values, tell stories, and laugh. Have fun.
11. Outline your values with the sweet glitter pens.
12. Make sure you color everything twice so it looks really good (thanks, Sarah W. for the tip!)
13. Add extra swirls, hearts, polka dots, and flowers to fill in the white space.
14. Show off your beautiful work!




I'm really excited to hang this on my ceiling. I love everything on my poster.

1 comment:

  1. Such a huge fan of your poster and the step-by-step instructions of how to make it. Hm... devotion idea? Great.

    ReplyDelete