Saturday, January 8, 2011

FOCUS

Things I have learned so far at FOCUS Conference.

1. God will not text you or facebook message you or tweet you to tell you what you should do with your life. In fact, he will not even tell you what to do. You, with Him, will choose it, own it, and commit to it. It's cool knowing that He wants me to do what I like.

2. God gave you passions and talents for a reason. If you're good at something, or love to do something, it could have to do with your call.

3. There are thousands of things you can do to serve God. 

4. Those who follow Christ must prepare themselves for an ordeal.

5. Women were made emotional, and "the strength of a woman lies in her emotional life." The devil tempts us through emotional things (chick flicks, love songs, etc).

6. Laziness is the biggest challenge when it comes to living out your faith.

Also, to all my Futures Quest friends, just thought you should know that our keynote speaker this morning told us to "look at your life, and there you will find your choices." Good thing I already knew this, thanks to Pete.

The biggest piece of advice I've heard so far is to "make your life a gift." I want to live my life in that sort of honor, loving and serving the Lord. As Shauna Niequist writes in Cold Tangerines, "I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud...I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift." This year, I want to spend time daily talking to God, learning about my gifts and how He wants me to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment