Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Planned Spontaneity

I am not a spontaneous person. I plan everything out to the nearest 15 minute intervals, and have my planner and my google calendar with me at all times. 


So today, I did something very (ok I've been thinking about it a little bit) spontaneous. I bought a plane ticket to Indiana to visit my camp friends!


Every summer and every time we talk, we always say we need to visit each other. And it never happens. So, I took Shauna Niequist's advice and did it.


Talking on the phone and skyping is good and it is important to stay in contact with the people in your lives who you care about. But togetherness is essential to friendship. Just being there. So, as Shauna says, "If those faces are far away, get a weekend on the calender and get there."


Maybe planning something a month and a half away isn't 100% spontaneous, but I think it counts. This decision has made me excited, and has shown commitment to making these friendships last.


I am excited to skype with some of these women this weekend, but I am more excited to "live close and connected" to them, even if it is only for a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment