Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sitting in Silence

I started my current journal almost a year ago on February 17, 2010. It is almost full. So instead of buying a new one, I am in the process of making a new one with Lori.

I went to her house this afternoon, and just sat. I went through some magazines to find pictures, cut, pasted, and crafted. I didn't get very far, but it was so good to just sit and be still. We didn't talk that much today, but it was still nice.

I think that in today's crazy world we forget to take time to rest. Should I have spent three hours today sitting around and decorating a new journal? Absolutely not. I have endless to-do lists, and a test tomorrow. But I told myself that I was going to create more time for fun and more time for myself. And now I feel refreshed, rested, and renewed. I know I have the energy to make it through the rest of this week.

After the FOCUS conference, I wrote about cutting the noise out of your life a little bit. It's interesting how just sitting for a few hours in silence can help you feel better. I believe that silence is good for the soul, but I think people in my generation are scared of it. We are constantly entertaining ourselves, whether it be watching television, listening to music, texting, or facebooking. How often do you just sit, and think about life? I don't do it enough. I think it might be time to start putting this silent time in the middle of my day, as opposed to just at night before I go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment