Tuesday, February 22, 2011

And they'll know we are Christians by our love.

I really, really like themes. Sometimes, I think God purposefully places certain conversations, homilies/talks, and events in my life to help me focus on a theme. Last week, I think my theme was about becoming vulnerable in my relationships. This week, it's starting to be about love. It started with the homily in mass on Sunday, has continued in a few conversations with my friends, & continued through my reading for my religion class. When I got on blogger to write this, I saw that Sarah Wright had written about love as well.

It is easy for us to love people who we connect with, and who we are invested in. But what about everyone else? What about that professor you can't stand, that know it all in your english class, or that person in your peer group who always seems to disagree with you? What about the countless number of people you encounter on a daily basis but do not speak to? How do we love them?'

Jesus says "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matt 25:40)

Peter R. Scholtes says in a hymn, "And they'll know we are christians by our love."

The two main questions this theme is forcing me to ask myself are:
1. "If you walk across campus with your head down, looking at your phone, how are you showing others the love of Christ?"
2. "If I judge people and think negative things about them, how is that Christ-like love?"

So this week, I am working on being more socially excellent. I am putting my phone away when walking, smiling at others, and creating conversations with new people when I can. When I catch myself judging or thinking negatively about people I don't really like, I am turning that thought into a quick prayer for them.

God tells us to love each other. I think it is just as important to love your "enemies" as it is to love your best friends. It's not as easy, but if we only love those who love us, how can we do what Christ has called us to do?

2 comments:

  1. I love this theme of the week. Great challenge to love everyone Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. littlelittle, you are amazing! good luck with your theme (& maybe i'll try it too) love!

    ReplyDelete