Thursday, February 27, 2014

February In Review

I set some pretty specific goals that had to do with budgeting this month. I even made this fancy image:

Which came first: the image or the goals? We may never know.
Let's talk about how I did:

1. Actually read Dave Ramsey's book. 

  • Fail. Didn't do this. But I did sit through a very long heated debate on my way to Asheville about Dave Ramsey and his methods. So that kind of counts, right? No? Shoot...
2. Read one of my fundraising books before I go home to fundraise.

  • Again...fail.
3. DEAL IN CASH. 

  • Semi success? I did this for 2 weeks and then I stopped and then I did it again this last week. 3/4. I stopped mainly because I don't have a bank in Colorado and getting cash is hard. Those weeks I did have cash, I stuck to my quasi-budget, which is good!
4. Do a budget analysis.

  • nailedit. I feel like I have a pretty decent idea of where all my money goes. I'm overall pretty happy with it, but now I've identified areas that I can cut back and put that money towards some of my financial goals! Hooray, being informed!
5. Set some financial goals.

  • naileditagain. This one was really fun. When Emily visited at the beginning of the month, we talked about taking a trip together in a year or two. So I spent some time with that goal, which was fun to start dreaming up. Unfortunately, the rest of my goals looked pretty much like, "save money," "don't go into debt," and "don't spend all your money on things you don't need" because I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. 
Moving forward...I definitely want to keep moving on some of these. Like reading Dave Ramesy's book and dealing in cash and making progress on my financial goals. I think the main big next step is to set a budget and stick to it. Doing this will allow me to implement some of these goals that I want to turn into habits. 

Some February highlights:
  • Emily's visit
  • The Smokies Greek Getaway
  • My dating fast post
  • Speaking at my parish about FOCUS
  • Working from home this week
  • Cinderella, the ballet
  • Visiting Tommy at KU
Cheers, friends. March is my birthday month, so it's about to get real.

No comments:

Post a Comment