Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Royal Affair

I've always been fascinated by fairy tales. I think that might be why I like Taylor Swift so much. I know this isn't that unique of a statement - most little girls love the idea of princesses. My love of fairy tales was more than just unicorns and magic wizards; I loved historical fiction. Yes, Ella Enchanted was my favorite book and I love stories like that, but I also have a secret obsession with the medieval and colonial time periods.

One of my favorite portions of history to read about and learn facts about is King Henry VIII and all of those shenanigans. My friend Sarah loves Anne Boleyn (once we texted all day long about her life) and I've had many conversations with my boss about King Henry's life. So when the Royal Wedding came about, I thought I would be hooked. But I really wasn't that interested in it. However, after spending time with Emily and analyzing the complexity of their lives with my boss, I became interested. So when my mom asked if I wanted to go see the Princess Diana Exhibit with her, my sister, and my grandma I decided it would be interesting.



They wouldn't let us take pictures in the exhibit, but it was really interesting. I didn't really know much about Princess Diana before, and it was cool to learn about her life. There was a section on her childhood, her wedding (with the dress!), her funeral, her fashion (complete with 28 of her outfits), and her charity work.


I really liked that she didn't let her fame get to her head and lose who she was. I kept reading over and over that Diana knew how strong her voice was, and that she could truly make a difference.

"I knew what my job was; it was to go out and meet the people and love them." - Princess Diana
Rarely do we see a public figure truly focus on loving others, and I think that is one of the reasons Diana fascinated so many. She became a Princess, every little girl's dream, and took that power and used it to help people. While her title gave her access to the world, we don't need to wait to become a princess to help others. We have the ability to make a difference today by loving others. There are countless opportunities in our own backyards to give back. If you can't donate money, that's okay. What matters is whether of not you touch the lives of others, and that can be done so many different ways. God gave us different talents and we are called to use them to serve others.


 "Only do what your heart tells you." - Princess Diana


That's what I want to do this summer - I want to go out, meet all of the campers and staff members, and love them like Jesus. I want to use my talents to the best of my ability to serve Jesus and to serve others. I want everyone I encounter to feel special and I want everyone who comes to camp this summer to have the best summer ever. I am excited about the unique experience that will be summer 2011 and I cannot wait to see what Jesus has planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment