Monday, May 16, 2011

Growing Up.

I've been thinking a lot about growing up these past few days.

Our beautiful seniors have officially graduated and are going out into the world to become "real" people. They are taking with them memories of laughter and tears and all of the things they have learned about themselves. They are leaving behind hurt, things they don't like about themselves and are becoming who they are. But more importantly than that they are leaving behind a legacy of what they did their four years in Delta Gamma. They are leaving us with how important sisterhood truly is and how to always put your sisters first. They are leaving behind excellent leadership terms, lessons learned the hard way, and a chapter better than they found it.

This summer, I am going to be a leader at camp. I am not only going to fully invest in every single girl in my cabin this summer, but I am also going to be responsible for an entire unit. I will be making sure that the counselors in my unit are happy, successful, and have the resources to be the best that they can be. I am going to have more responsibility and it is going to be a completely different summer.

And then after that I will be a senior at Drake. First my term on Panhellenic will end, and then I will graduate. I am going to have harder classes, there are going to be thirty new members that I won't know, and I won't be living in DG. It's going to be such a different year.

I was talking with my good friends Jordan and Ryan tonight, and after they left I started thinking about how different I am from last year. I feel like I've really begun to grow into who God wants me to be, and I don't want to loose that. I look back at who I was a year, two years, even five years ago and I feel like I am so different and was so young back then. But on the flip side of that, I can't help but imaging how I am going to feel at the end of this summer and at the end of next year. It's so funny that in three months, I'll look back on who I was in this moment and feel so much older and wiser. And I think that's a good thing. I know who I am, but I don't want to ever stop growing and changing. Because I think that means I've stopped learning. And if I've stopped changing and growing, I think I'll regress. I don't want to forget all of the lessons that God has taught me and the things I've learned about myself throughout the process. I think thats one of the reasons I started this blog. To track that progress of what I've learned so I don't forget. I don't want to forget how much I grew at camp last summer, how living in DG changed me even more, and about things like spring break. Those moments were important in shaping who I am today.

That's another reason I really like goals. I want to be able to track the progress I've made and see what I've accomplished. When I leave camp in August, Panhellenic in December, and Delta Gamma in May, I want to be able to see the legacy I've left behind. I want to be someone who was a good leader and stuck to their core values. I want to have been a person who put their friends first and always cared for others. I want people to have seen nothing but love and truth from me. I want them to see Jesus radiating out of me and I always always want to be positive.

This summer at camp and senior year are going to be so different for me, but I think they're both going to be incredible. And I think all the life experiences I've had are really going to prepare me for those times. I can't wait to see what is in store for this summer and my senior year. Things are going to be really, really different. And that's okay. These changes will allow for me to continue to grow in my relationship with God and to continually discover who I am.

And I'm excited to see where God takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment