Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent

When was the last time you were hungry? Like really hungry? Honestly? I don't remember. We are so so so privileged in our society. We have access to such an abundance of food. I think we just go from meal to meal and eat because it is the designated time, and then snack in between because we're bored. We forget what hunger is. Which makes it hard for us to relate to those people, in our own backyards and across the world, who are truly starving.

So for lent, I'm giving up snacking. I'm going to try not to snack between meals at all, but I am mainly giving up snacking in the evenings. Because that is when I snack the most. It is so easy for me to walk downstairs into the DG kitchen and make myself a snack of whatever I'd like. I do it out of connivence, boredom, and because of the pleasure food brings.

I'm hoping that in the moments of hunger (and I use that word lightly) I will turn to God and offer up my "suffering" to and for him. I'm hoping my hunger will turn into a deep hunger for Christ, and that I will turn to him to be filled up - instead of turning to the DG kitchen. I'm also focusing on praying for those who hunger and being more grateful for what I have.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, thank you for posting this. It is refreshing to see someone understand the real meaning in giving up something for Lent. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete