Monday, January 16, 2012

Make It a Day ON.

After endless tweets and facebook statuses quoting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, over 100 people gathered in the Drake University student center to give back. Today we practiced being the engaged citizens that Drake challenges us to be each day. We created personal hygiene kits to send all over the world, made cards for a boy named Max with Leukemia who wished to receive 1 millions cards, and made tie blankets to be donated to local hospitals and shelters. Other people made newspaper flooring for an animal shelter and made cards for veterans.

Bonding with Carley, Justine, and other friends was fun, but what was more important was the reason we decided to partake in the day of service. My friend Maddie's quote by MLK was my favorite, "our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter." I think it's really important that continually give back and stand up for what we believe in. Today I volunteered because it is far too often that I forget how fortunate and blessed I am. There are so many others in this world who struggle to survive every day. What matters is loving those people and giving what we can to them.

Today was a great way to end winter break.

Oh, and I was interviewed and on TV. I'm basically famous now.

No comments:

Post a Comment