Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#notbuyingit

I think that sometimes, it is way too easy for us to buy into the gendertypes that our society pushes at us. Our women should be thin, tan, beautiful, and submissive. Men should be tall, muscular, make the money, and aggressive.  Media and advertisements perpetuate these stereotypes. We might say something about it, or be offended by it, but then we continue on our way and nothing changes. The media continues to define our roles.

Take the Dr. Pepper 10 advertisement campaign.


I understand the thought process behind it. Diet drinks have become associated as products meant for women. Dr. Pepper is trying to combat that by marketing this low calorie drink towards men. But, really? It's not for women? I'm pretty sure I can drink this soda and nothing horrible will happen to me. Except maybe hating myself for buying a product that is so blatantly sexist.

I was walking around Macy's with my mom yesterday, looking for slippers for my Dad and I was overwhelmed by the sexual advertising in the shoe department for men. Really? That man needs to have his shirt off to wear those slippers? I'm buying slippers because I'm cold, so I'm assuming that's why you're wearing them. You probably wouldn't be cold if you put a shirt on. I just rolled my eyes at the ridiculous ad and kept on shopping.

Then today, I found this on facebook:


I love this concept. I love that someone has decided to actively take a stand against out popular culture. I love that people are joining this cause and are taking a stand. Maybe it's small. Maybe nothing will change. But then again, you should "never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

Check out their movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment