Thursday, October 13, 2011

Things I Don't Do.

Last night, I led DG Bible Study.

We read "Things I Don't Do" from Shanua Niequist's Bittersweet. We talked about "DO EVERYTHING BETTER" and which one of those words is the crux for us. For the pharmacy girls it was "better," for some it was "everything," but right now for me, the painful, harsh, killer word in my life is "do."

Shanua writes eloquently about why "do" is harsh and aggressive and damaging to the soul, but right now "do" is killing me because I feel like all I ever have time for is "do." Whether it's school, work, or meetings, I have been running from place to place and "doing" life away. I do not leave time to simply be. And it's taken me until this week to realize how damaging that's been to the core of who I am. I haven't left time to be a friend or even be with God. And I do not want this to become a habit. So it's time to reframe the way I'm living my life and the way I'm thinking.

Yesterday, my friend Sarah wrote "you can do something to make love win today." That's where I want to live my life.

So, in honor of "Things I Don't Do," here are my two lists. I'm still working on some of these, but I know in order to get to the heart of who I want to be, I need to be honest with myself and with life.

Things I Do:
To me, these are the things that outline who I want to be. They are either abstract guidelines that outline my way of living, or specific practices on how I live my life.

Things I Don't Do:
These are the things that go against the things on my "Things I Do" list. These are the things I am willing to give up in order to pursue excellence in my life.


End of Bible Study challenge: Pick one item, from either list, to work on this week. I picked list 1, item 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment