Friday, November 15, 2013

7 Quick Takes on Hipsters, Simplicity, and How I'm Kind of a Jerk [6]


Nick & Allison threw a hipster soiree (because parties are too mainstream). Everyone donned their plaid scarves, ironic sweaters, and thick rimmed glasses.


It really was the perfect night to dress up like hipsters...I was super impressed with everyone's outfits. The best part of the night was the "hipster videos" playing in the background and the photo booth. The Falls threw a great party, and it was a great night with FOCUS friends and new friends.


Hipster photos via Nick Falls.

FOCUS is hosting two interview weekends (one in Philadelphia & one in Denver) over the next three days. Lindsay, my roommate, is one of FOCUS' Digital Campus Missionaries. One of her students flew in a night early and has been staying with us. It has been cool to watch them meet in person and to hear Danielle's story. A huge part of her conversion happened when she was in Honduras her senior year of high school. Danielle's story got me reflecting on my time in El Salvador and the beauty of the simplicity of life without excess.





Recently I've been thinking about how I haven't been the greatest at living simply and I think I want to change that...

My favorite thing to do is set goals and not actually do anything about it. Whoops. But I don't want to feel this desire for simple living and just brush it off. I think it is offering a deeper step into my relationship with Jesus. Also, this is something I feel all the time - I remember wanting to get rid of everything that I owned my senior year of college. I constantly want to downsize and focus more on people rather than technology and things. I'm currently brainstorming ways to incorporate this into my every day. I'm open to suggestions.

My boss gets married tomorrow! She's having food trucks. It's going to be so great. I can't wait to celebrate with everyone!

I think I've been kind of a jerk this week. My work load seems to quadruple each night, my heart is a little broken, my prayer life is dry, and I haven't been getting enough sleep. So I've been easily irritated. None of these reasons are an excuse for me to be rude or short tempered with anyone. Yet...I have been. A few weeks ago Fr. Dyer gave a homily about moving past things that stress us out and irritate us. It's so much easier said than done. So I'm working on letting my pride die by apologizing when I was wrong, and taking deep breaths when I feel myself getting irritated. I'm asking for the gift of self-awareness so I don't just react, but I take time to process, receive, and then respond. Which is another reason I want to cut anything out of my life that doesn't bring me to Jesus. I am hoping that part of an antidote to this pride and short temper is simplicity.

However, I am grateful for gift that the examen prayer has been this week. If I wasn't reflecting on my day with Jesus each night, I don't think I would have realized that I've been letting my pride win more frequently these last few days. Though it's painful to take a step back and be humble, I'm glad Jesus has challenged me to do this. So if I'm a jerk to you, please call me out on it.

I had a photo shoot with my discipleship group on Sunday after we talked about the fall. These girls are so fun and I am loving that I get to step into their lives and learn about Jesus with them.




This week I've been blessed to catch up with a few different friends. It was so great to hear from Maddie, Morph, Jess, & Adrea. I am excited for this to continue this weekend at interview weekend. Please pray for all the students applying and all of the interviewers! I am just excited to see everyone and to catch up.



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment